I want a cover that grabs people's attention and gives a sense of action, intrigue and excitement. I've included a PDF that has a few other covers I like. The cover doesn't need to be subtle but nor do I want it to be cheesy.
The book is called "Thunder's Rhyme". It is a young adult science fiction novel about two teenage guys stranded on a hostile, storm plagued planet. The subplot is the romantic bond that develops between the two teens (this is a LGBT novel). A further subplot are the various strange beasts they encounter on the planet (birds that look like pterodactyls, large beasts that look like woolly mammoths - if this inspires you feel free to incorporate...or not).
The planet consists of large swaths of barren land...rocky...desert-like. Near the domed city it becomes more tropical and lush. There are two suns (I don't expect you to try to work that in).
The mood I want to convey is that amidst all the chaos and adventure on this planet there is also hope (and love).
I envision a cover that includes:
- a stormy vista with lightning (the storms on this planet are extremely violent and don't need to look like regular storms of planet earth).
- a city protected from the storms beneath a golden force field/dome (the city is a cobbled mix of futuristic and rudimentary building structures - if in doubt keep it ambiguous or veer more toward a fantasy city of tall spires. It should not look like a regular American city.)
- I'm open as far as font. I would like something that is bold, eye-catching and easy to read
And the cover may also include these elements:
- two attractive teen guys (an important part of the story is the unrequited love between them). I'm open to various options - seeing them from the back, front, in the distance, close-up - whatever you feel works best.
- a crashed (or crashing) spaceship (this should be subtle and in the background)
- flying birds that look like pterodactyls or other strange beasts
at least 1800 pixels wide by 2700 pixels tall @ 300 dpi (600 dpi better)
All applicable formats as per 99designs but I especially need photoshop file with all layers.